Plastic and flexible packaging in 2009
- €6.40 billion turnover
- 320 companies
- 38,000 employees
- €4.95 billion turnover
- 1,886 KT
- 31,510 employees
- 290 companies (with more than 20 employees)
- €1.45 billion turnover
- 2,506 million m²
- 6,490 employees
- 30 companies
*Flexible packaging is:
- Multi-material film: plastic, aluminium, paper
- Multi-layer film: several layers of plastic.
The packaging industry in 2008
- €18.7 billion turnover
- 1,477 companies
- 105,300 employees
Market size by turnover
1. Plastic & flexible: 6,920 M€
2. Paper & board: 6,340 M€
3. Glass: 1,913 M€
4. Metal: 1,787 M€
5. Wood: 1,770 M€
To find out more about the packaging industry in France: www.clife.fr
Packaging in plastic consumption
Plastic packaging accounts for 40% of the plastic consumed in France and Europe.
Plastic and oil
Plastic represents 4% of oil consumption
Plastic packaging accounts for 1.5% of oil consumption
> To find out more about plastic: www.lesplastiques.com
What happens to plastic packaging after use?
- Household packaging represents approx. 1,000 KT / year and 4% of household waste by weight.
- 218,000 T of household plastic packaging was recycled in 2007 > Recycling rate: 21.8%.
- 206,500 T of industrial & commercial plastic packaging was recycled in 2007 > Recycling rate: 20.6%.
- In total, 424,500 T of plastic packaging was recycled in 2007 > Recycling rate: 21.2%.
> Find out more about recycling
The European plastic packaging market
In 2005 (latest available figures):
- €179,212 million turnover
- 53,828 companies
- 1,307,107 employees
Source: EuPC - Official statistics / HPP-Science
> To find out more about the European plastic packaging market: www.plasticsconverters.eu/markets/packaging
The European flexible packaging market
- US$16.6 billion (global: US$52.2 billion) turnover (converted and non-converted materials)
Source: PCI Films Consulting Ltd
> To find out more about the European flexible market: www.flexpack-europe.org/front_content.php
The main European plastic and flexible packaging producing countries (2007):
|Source: Eurostat / PCI Films with the support of FPE|